Create an educational environment that integrates and intertwines pedagogical elements of innovative and entrepreneurial thinking with engineering design and scientific research experiences of undergraduate and graduate students at Stevens.
Curriculum design and course content that enables following student learning outcomes: The students will:>
- Be cognizant of the constituents who will be impacted with a novel solution to the problem.
- Be curious about the societal, humanitarian and marketplace impact of a design.
- Conceptualize and articulate the innovation or technology breakthrough and its value to the constituents.
- Analyze, prioritize and optimize solutions to complex problems.
- Follow structured and unstructured processes to hypothesize multiple design concepts to address to the problem.
- Evaluate the performance, cost and sustainability of a design using physical, mathematical and virtual methods.
- Identify the most effective/optimal solution that satisfies a maximal set of posed requirements.
- Cultivate necessary connections and communication skills to articulate and highlight the effectiveness of a solution and capable of generating necessary resources to solve the problem.
- Produce implementations or prototypes of solutions and assess their effectiveness for solving the stakeholder problems.
- Operate and maintain the designed product/service.
- Take the risks associated in transitioning their invention into products/services with commercial, societal or humanitarian impact.
- The IDEAS program maintains several key resources that form the essential infrastructure of the innovation engine. One of the resources is a high-tech maker space, where the students are able to realize their concepts and test them with users.
- The PROtotype Object Fabrication Laboratory (PROOF Lab) consists of resources that can quickly create working and functional prototypes as well as produce small lots for demonstrations.
- The laboratory houses various qualities of 3D printing, machining and molding equipment to help students build working prototypes. Laboratory also supports electro-mechanical, sensing and electronics systems development.
- Click here to learn about Stevens Prototyping Lab Additive Manufacturing Equipment.